For entrance into the program, students must exhibit proficiency in one of the areas listed below. For scholarship consideration, students must display a proficiency in two of the areas listed below, one of which must be keyboard.
Perform a snare drum solo from one of the following books or the equivalent:
- Cirone: Portraits in Rhythm
- Firth: The Solo Snare Drummer
- Peters: Intermediate Studies for Snare Drum, Advanced Studies for S.D.
- Pratt: 14 Modern Contest Solos for Snare Drum
- Markovich: Solos for Snare Drum
In addition, be prepared to perform several rudiments from the Percussive Arts Society list of forty rudiments and sight read.
Perform a marimba, xylophone, or vibraphone solo from one of the following books or the equivalent:
- Goldenberg: Method for Marimba, Xylophone, and Bells (any of the etudes I - XXXIX
- J. S. Bach: Violin Concerto in A Minor
- Eyles: George Hamilton Greens Xylophone Rags
- Peters: Yellow After The Rain (4 mallets)
In addition, be prepared to perform all major scales and sight read.
Perform a timpani solo from one of the following books/pieces or the equivalent:
- Firth: The Solo Timpanist (Any etude)
- Peters: Fundamental Method for Timpani (any of the etudes 57-63)
- John Beck: Sonata for Timpani (one movement)
- John Bergamo: Four Movements for Timpani (one movement)
Demonstrate the ability to hear and tune pitches on the timpani and sight read.
Multiple Percussion (INCLUDING DRUM SET)
- Kraft: French Suite (one movement), Morris Dance
- Tagawa: Inspirations Diabolique (one movement)
- Goldenberg: Studies in Solo Percussion
- Stephens: Downside-Up (drum set)
- Lincoln: Fantasy for Drums (drum set)
If auditioning on drum set, you should be prepared to demonstrate different such as, swing, jazz brush playing, bossa nova, samba, Afro-Cuban, rock, and funk.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Fred Bugbee
Department of Music
Box 30001; MSC 3F
Las Cruces, NM 88003
phone: (575) 646-2901